Monday, February 2, 2009

Book: It Happened in India

As usual, I went to the NCL library to pick a new book to read. I had looked at this book earlier, but did not pick it. This time I picked it up and wasn't expecting that it would be a great book. But I was completely wrong. This book is just fantastic!!!!!

This book is an autobiography of Kishore Biyani. He is the owner of Pantaloon retail, Big Bazaar, Food Bazaar and FutureBazaar.com. He is referred as KB or Kishoreji in the book. After reading the book, I have become his fan. 

He writes how he started his business from scratch. Early in his young days, he observed his famly business and told them that it will not make huge profits. Well, to make such a comment is itself quite a daring thing. He explains this very nicely - Every business can be defined in 3 modes - creater, preserver and destroyer. Once the business enters the preserving mode, it is basically simply sustaining itself. Hence the profit margins remain low and then over a period of time, business will not grow. To grow business, creation and destruction is important. This means trying something new and keep on innovating. This takes a lot of learning, unlearning and re-learning. 

There are so many new things that are expressed in the book, which are completely different from the usual conventional methods. This is a must read book for all sales and maketing personnel, MBAs. In fact, I would recommend it for anyone from a junior staff to a senior manager. So many new things I have learnt from this book. I just want to thank Kishoreji for taking time out for writing this great book.

1 comment:

Neelum said...

I sure would like to read this one.